[Nepomuk] User limit reached. Please raise the inotify user watch limit

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Oct 6 17:29:13 UTC 2012

Hi!

I read

Nepomuk not indexing a large home
Author:Alvaro Soliverez (Hei_Ku)

http://soliverez.com.ar/home/2012/10/nepomuk-not-indexing-a-large-home/

I wonder what is the official recommendation on fs.inotify.max_user_watches
limit?

I think it needs at least as much as count of directories in my home. Is
that true?

That is:

martin at merkaba:~> find -type d | wc -l
35292

So a limit of about 100000 should be more than enough? System is a
ThinkPad T520 with Intel Sandybridge i5 and 8 GiB of RAM. So I hope it
would cope with that.

(Yes I read about the issues Nepomuk has with in kernel notification
mechanisms.)

As for timeline:/: For today it shows some files, which are all not from
today but from 1997 till 2028. KDE SC 4.8.4 on Debian Sid.

Thanks,