[Nepomuk] Questions about Nepomuk Core

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Thu May 17 04:50:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 4:53 AM, David Narvaez
<david.narvaez at computer.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have tried to follow the thread about the Nepomuk situation but
> can't figure out answers to these questions now that I'm working on
> Activities and Nepomuk to fix the Icons/Ontologies tragedy:
>
> 1) When will Nepomuk Core replace kde-runtime's Nepomuk services and
> stuff? KDE 4.9?

Yup. That's the plan.

> 2) Nepomuk Core seems to depend on Soprano's latest Git version which
> includes the commit 3206bae6 that adds DefiningProperty, and this
> doesn't seem to be lined up to Soprano 2.7, judging by the 2.7 branch.
> Will Nepomuk Core depend on next Soprano release?

Yes. Sebastian should release the next version of Soprano. It contains a
lot of important fixes.

> 3) It looks like Nepomuk Core is not API compatible with kde-runtime's
> Nepomuk, e.g. it is missing setSymbols and maybe other methods. This
> affects Activities Library, so my question is if Activities Library's
> master should be patched to work with Nepomuk Core for KDE 4.9 or the
> other way around.

I think setSymbols should be added to nepomuk-core. A lot of people use it,
and there is no replacement. I cannot remember the exact reason we'd
removed setSymbols. I do however remember having to patch it up for KDE 4.8.

To answer your question - both.

> Thanks.
>
> David E. Narváez

Vishesh Handa