[Nepomuk] [Kde-pim] mailcomposer still hangs (Re: KMail completion spams nepomuk, which isn't parallelized)

Martin Koller kollix at aon.at
Fri Aug 10 20:09:41 UTC 2012

On Thursday, 9. August 2012 20:56:07 David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 09 August 2012 15:23:05 Shaheed Haque wrote:
> > Oh, it is "Akonadi::ContactSearchJob" initially that remains in the
> > "Running" state, hanging the composer window. And I have just noticed,
> > it *only* gets stuck if I have used address autocompletion.
>
> Indeed, it turns out that I only disabled the "harvest all emails from
> nepomuk" code (AddresseeLineEdit::Private::startNepomukSearch) but not the
> "akonadi contact search job", which itself uses nepomuk (!)
>
> We discussed it further in #kontact today, and apart from nepomuk being able
> to run queries in parallel, we also need akonadi to not wait for that
> ContactSearchJob anymore. Which seems to require:
> 1) running these jobs in a different akonadi session, and
> 2) making it possible to actually kill these jobs, when typing something
> different and especially when sending the mail (no completion needed anymore).

A general question about this:

wouldn't it be much better (performance and complexity wise) that kmail would request _all_ known mail addresses
when it starts and keep those cached internally (and probably registers itself for additional new addresses,
if that is possible with akonadi/nepomuk) and use ONLY the local held internal cache for address completion,
which would avoid that (it looks for me as) massive overhead to start a new query for every new letter the user types
just to stop the query again when the next letter is entered ?
I assume the list of email addresses a user deals with is rather limited (I'd say a few hundred for a business user,
and probably a few tens for a normal user), so this shouldn't be any problem memory wise.

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion