[Nepomuk] mailcomposer still hangs (Re: [Kde-pim] KMail completion spams nepomuk, which isn't parallelized)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Aug 9 18:56:07 UTC 2012

On Thursday 09 August 2012 15:23:05 Shaheed Haque wrote:
> Oh, it is "Akonadi::ContactSearchJob" initially that remains in the
> "Running" state, hanging the composer window. And I have just noticed,
> it *only* gets stuck if I have used address autocompletion.

Indeed, it turns out that I only disabled the "harvest all emails from
nepomuk" code (AddresseeLineEdit::Private::startNepomukSearch) but not the
"akonadi contact search job", which itself uses nepomuk (!)

We discussed it further in #kontact today, and apart from nepomuk being able
to run queries in parallel, we also need akonadi to not wait for that
ContactSearchJob anymore. Which seems to require:
1) running these jobs in a different akonadi session, and
2) making it possible to actually kill these jobs, when typing something
different and especially when sending the mail (no completion needed anymore).

Volker volunteered to make these changes (well, technically only the lower-
level part of point 2, but I'm writing this email so I can say whatever I want
:)

However, thinking about it again, wouldn't it be enough for now to just do the
first point? At least completion wouldn't block sending, it would only block
further completion in the next composer (assuming this is a shared session).
If it's a new session in every AddresseeLineEdit (assuming akonadiserver is ok
with 10 of these in parallel), then this isn't even an issue.