[Nepomuk] Indexer

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Mon Apr 16 18:52:42 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:15 AM, Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:

> Any objections to make it more permanent?
>
> Still a separate process, to get the files for indexing via stdin,

report the status via stdout, and if it crashes, the parent process
> would just respawn it when needed.

I take it that your main objection is a new process being spawned each time?

If it's a performance problem, I doubt this is the place to optimize. We've
never done any performance tests on storeResources ( The API that is used
to push the indexed data into Nepomuk ) or on strigi.

Right now, I really like the architecture of having a separate process. It
makes debugging stuff a lot easier as well. We just tell the user to
manually run nepomukindexer. That being said, I'm open to taking the input
files via stdin as long as it still works in the current way.

Reporting the status via stdout is something we really need. The current
method just uses kDebug.

> Cheerio,
> Ivan
>
> --
> Cheerio,
> Ivan
>
> --
> While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
> Dying to believe in what you heard
> I was staring straight into the shining sun

Vishesh Handa