[Nepomuk] Suggestions Regarding File Saving Mockups

S. Shah sshah4848 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 16:46:55 UTC 2011

Hello Mr. Trueg,

I am writing this email in response to the two semantic saving posts that
you have recently made (
http://trueg.wordpress.com/2011/09/01/semantic-saving-next-try/;
http://trueg.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/semantic-saving-next-next-try/.) I
wasn't exactly sure if the comments section was still active, so I thought I
would send an email instead.

I have been using a firefox addon called Categorize (
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/categorize/,) which seeks to
improve upon many browsing tools (tabs, keywords, bookmarks, etc). One
particular feature I would like to highlight is the bookmarking feature,
which I think could be tremendously useful when assigning files to folders
(for those old-school people :) ,) or imposing a little structure on any
tag-like assignments of information to files.

First, please click the following link to see a screenshot of the feature in
action: http://www.techuser.net/categorize/bookmark.html#_auto_completion.

A description of the motivation behind creating this feature can be found
here: http://www.techuser.net/categorize/bookmark.html#_why_categories.

As demonstrated through the preceding screenshot, categorize allows you to
quickly assign bookmarks to a hierarchical structure by treating the folder
structure as a collection of textual breadcrumbs, or categories that can
quickly be entered textually (ex. science > physics > astronomy > black
holes would assign a file to the black holes folder, which is nested under
the astronomy folder, which is nested under the physics folder, which is
nested under the science folder.) To ensure that files stay fairly
organized, categorize also searches the hierarchy structure and uses an
autocompletion tool to display similar, related categories to assist you in
saving your file. Most importantly, when a new category is created,
necessary folders are automatically created. When all files are removed from
a given category, the necessary folders are automatically deleted, making
file management, or in the case of categorize, bookmark management, very
efficient and effortless.

I think these two tools could be tremendously powerful in a saved search
dialogue box, because it enables you to establish parent-child relationships
between various files and their subject matter incredibly quickly.
Furthermore, these tools integrate fairly well with traditional file
management systems.

One final feature in categorize that might possible be useful to implement
is it's field display feature in the bookmarking pane I showed in previous
screenshots for enabling users to have great control over which fields are
and are not shown in the save dialogue box. It should be fairly
self-explanatory, so here is a screenshot:
http://www.techuser.net/categorize/bookmark.html#_customization.

I would ask that you give the addon a try for a some time and consider
implementing them in nepomuk and/or the saved search dialogue box if you
find it useful.

I hope this helps with your new saved search dialogue box and am very
interested in seeing how it turns out,
-S. Shah