[Nepomuk] Duplicate resources because of using different sources and creators/performers

Ignacio Serantes kde at aynoa.net
Fri Oct 14 14:10:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Sebastian Trüg <trueg at kde.org> wrote:

> The Vorbis comments spec http://xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html
> states that for popular music "artist" is normally the performing band
> and "performer" is omitted. But for classical music "artist" would be
> the composer while "performer" would be the - well performer. :P
>
> So the question is: how do we handle this in the flac (and also
> vorbisbtw) analyzer plugin? Do something like "if perfomer is set use
> nco:creator otherwise nmm:performer"? That seems reasonable. Opinions?

Seems a good solution to me. In popular music, in general, you always
thought in the performer and the composer (creator) is not relevant but in
classical is almost the opposite. So in classical you probably have both,
performer and creator, but in popular music only the performer.

With your solution there is always the same information available,
performer, and creators is only available when have performer too.

> As for resource merging: we have APi to merge two resources in the Data
> management service also easily accessible through DBus. But there is no
> code yet that tries to find duplicates.

Where I can found information about this API?

> Cheers,
> Sebastian
>
> On 10/14/2011 02:19 PM, Ignacio Serantes wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As my Nepomuk's database grows I found that duplicate resources is a
> > growing problem, and I'm not referring to the bug when indexing.
> >
> > As Nepomuk collect data form several sources, in my case Strigi,
> > Bangarang and me, occurs that data collected is not coherent and this is
> > expected. One simple example with actress/singer Shibasaki Kou (柴咲コ
> > ウ) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kou_Shibasaki>:
> >
> > ignacio at misaki:~> nepoogle --nogui contacts:shibasaki or tag:shibasaki
> > 柴咲コウ (Shibasaki Kou)
> > shibasaki kou, 柴咲コウ
> > Kô Shibasaki, Kô Shibasaki
> >
> > and there are more combinations, Kō Shibasaki, Shibasaki Kô, Kou
> > Shibasaki, etc..., more or less valid. This, in fact, is a common
> > problem with Asian names but Occidental names are not free, for example
> > ELO and Electric Light Orchestra.
> >
> > Obviously if you search only "shibasaki" you found what you're looking
> > for but other resources you don't want also.
> >
> > This is not a bug, is a simple logical problem because we found the Real
> > World™ so I wonder if there is implemented, planning or discussed
> > something about merge all this records.
> >

> > Other different question is the fact that there is "performers" and
> > "creators", both are the singers of a music file, and the main
> > difference is this data are collected from mp3 files or flac files. By
> > surprise I found yesterday that strigi is indexing flac files again.
> > Terrific :).
> >
> > So, for example, if I want to search for all Shibasaki Kou's songs I
> > must type:
> >
> > nepoogle --nogui performer:shibasaki or creator:shibasaki
> >
> > Of course I could search by contact
> >
> > nepoogle --nogui contact:shibasaki
> >
> > but in this case I also get movies and other records and I only looking
> > for music.
> >
> > I'm thinking in add a shortcut named "singer", with implements a
> > "performer or creator", to nepoogle but I wan't to confirm if this would
> > be changed or not.
> >
> > --
> > Best wishes,
> > Ignacio