[Nepomuk] general questions: virtuoso-t & nepomukstorage, desktopsearch

Ignacio Serantes kde at aynoa.net
Thu Oct 13 09:56:59 UTC 2011

I will try to help before you send this message again ;).

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Matthias Lechner <
mat.lechner at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have three questions concerning the everyday use of nepomuk and strigi-
> indexer:
>
> 1. Regularly (every 15 minutes or so), virtuoso-t and nepomukservicestub
> nepomukstorage are consuming all the CPU for several seconds, causing a
> noticeable lag in the system (although they seem to be running with nice
> 19).
> Is that behaviour intended (like a regular scan or something similar)? If
> yes,
> what happens there and how can I adjust it?

I have not noticed this problem in my systems but I have quite limited
indexed folders to maintain my database as small as possible. If you don't
have manual data: tags, ratings, coments, maybe deleting your database could
help.

> 2. If I want to look for a directory or file using the
> nepomuk-desktopsearch
> plugin in krunner, some files/directories are found and some not. Is there
> way how I can troubleshoot this? Maybe list of indexed files, or index
> protocols?
>
> In theory if don't appears then there is not indexed. Consider that strigi
service fails indexing some files, for example flac files, so you may
experiencing this problem.

> 3. When I use the krunner desktopsearch, I mostly want to look for files,
> not
> mail. However, most of the results are emails, since most words I am
> searching
> for are contained in probably 30 mails. Is there a way to limit the search
> files only?

No, as far as I know.

I developed an alternative search method that might be useful to you. It's
not integrated in KDE, Krunner or Dolphin, for desing reasons but it has a
good query language, supports UTF-8 and don't supports Akonadi :). Nepoogle
is called and you can found here:

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Nepoogle?content=145505

> Thanks in advance for your help!
> Regards,