[Nepomuk] Re: [GSoC 2011] Project: Innovative new UI/Interaction Methods for telepathy using nepomuk

Rohan Garg rohangarg at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 29 22:13:31 CEST 2011

Hi
A little introduction is now in order from my side i guess ;)

I'm Rohan Garg [0] and i'm pursuing my B.Tech in Electronics and
Communication from Institute of Technology and Management. I have been
involved in KDE packaging with Kubuntu for the past 18 months and have been
contributing small patches to KDE for the past 6 months.So far i've only
worked on rekonq and helped move some cmake modules from KDE SVN to KDE Git
for KSanePlugin.

I would like to further my contributions in KDE this summer and since i've
always been fascinated by how Computer Networks and communication between
two PC's, i would like to work on KDE Telepathy this summer.My previous
ideas were spread over two emails, this one is just a combination of those
two with some more insights into the idea, the challenges it would face and
a mockup for the Telepathy KDE Plasma widget.

Updating this idea a bit with all the discussions i had in #kde-telepathy
and nepomuk developers :

1) Extend KDE Telepathy Logger

I talked to Sebastian Trüg about this, and he would ideally like all the
logs to be stored in nepomuk itself. Now two of the issues that came up with
this implementation are :
a) A user turns off nepomuk indexing on his system, that would disable
logging, according to Sebastian, nepomuk should be made a mandatory service
in KDE.
b) Handling enormus amounts of logs, this should be handled in such a way
that a user gets the option to log a certain period of data, lets say, logs
of N months.Any logs greater than N months should be discarded ( or
converted into plaintext and stored elsewhere ).

The work involved in this task would be to get Telepathy Logger to talk to
nepomuk and store all the logs in nepomuk, where they are associated with
the person you were talking to.

2) Writing krunner plugins

This is the easy bit and could probably be implemented within 2 weeks max.
These plugins allow you to interact with telepathy via KRunner as one
usually does with other KDE applications and should work as described in the
previous mail [1]

3) Adding file transfers with contacts meta data

When a contact sends you a file, upon recieving the file it is populated
with meta data such as who sent you the file. As Daniele E. Domenichell
pointed out, the file transfer library isn't quite ready yet, so i guess we
can improve the file transfer mechanism during the GSoC period and then
implement this feature once File transfer is working. ( I distinctly
remember someone saying that they would ideally like to finish this before
GSoC starts, can't exactly remember who )

4) QML based Contact List widget in plasma

This is quite simply a widget that would sit on your desktop and allow you
to :
* Initiate a chat with a contact
* Initiate a call with a contact
* See the persons current status
* Email a contact

Here is a mockup video of the plasmoid i made in QML [2]
When the user clicks on the Green Status icon a chat will be initiated, when
he clicks on the Call button a call is initiated.A Expanding QListView via
QML will provide all the extra details to a user when he clicks on the user
name in the plasmoid

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/shadeslayer
[1] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-telepathy/2011-March/001113.html
[2] http://people.ubuntu.com/~rohangarg/out.mpeg