[Nepomuk] Re: sopranocmd export stdout

Matthew Dawson matthew at mjdsystems.ca
Wed Mar 23 07:05:05 CET 2011

On Tuesday 22 March 2011 19:55:10 Ben Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>   I've been using sopranocmd to export an RDF database for archival
> purposes. Unfortunately, you can get some rather large files using
> export. Luckily, they compress really well too.
>
>   I haven't been able to convince sopranocmd to export to stdout so I
> can bzip2 compress its output without it hitting disk. Using "-" as the
> file name creates a file called "-" and writes to it. And trying to be
> trickier fails too, perhaps because the file is opened read/write?
>
> $  sopranocmd --backend redland export /proc/self/fd/1
> Could not open file for writing: /proc/self/fd/1
>
> Thoughts || willingness to accept patches to make this work like above?

Hey,

You could try the follow bashism (I can't try it right now with sopranocmd as I haven't played with the command):

sopranocmd --backend redland export >(bzip2  >file.bz2)

Anything you put between the ()'s bash will execute, redirecting the input as appropriate.  Note that it uses the fd's as well, but it uses them from /dev/fd/*.

Hope that helps,

Matthew