[Nepomuk] Gsoc Proposal draft

swair shah swairshah at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 15:23:34 CET 2011

Hi,

I would really like to participate in GSoC for KDE. I am student Information
and communication technology, interested in Information Retrieval and
working on Semantic Search Challenge 2011 at the moment.

I am familiar with the semantic web technologies and Nepomuk is a project of
my interest. Its is unfortunate that Nepomuk is not really 'loved' by every
KDE user and there are a lot of queries about 'how to get rid of nepomuk' on
web. I believe its mainly because KDE lacks 'front-end' applications which
would really show the full capabilities of Nepomuk. I have not seen many
people use Nepomuk except for the desktop search and not everyone
appreciates the 'semantic desktop' concept. I myself came to know about the
potential that Nepomuk has, very late (about last month) I have been using
KDE since 2 years now. And all that i learned was from various blog posts of
nepomuk lovers and developers.

I have been working on understanding Nepomuk, through techbase and some code
in the playground. I am interested in essentially all the ideas there are on
nepomuk this year, and I have a few of my own ( I am unsure about them
having the potential of being a full GSoC project, also I think its a little
late to propose them now, though i'll formulate and mail them soon may be
someone can find them interesting and extend them).

This is first draft of my GSoC proposal. It is for 'Project Integration'
idea.
Please do comment on it so that I know my mistakes and/or shortcomings and
can work on them.
*
*
-Swair

*
*
*Proposal:*
*
*
*
*
*Name :* Swair Shah

*Freenode IRC nick :* swair
*
*
*IM service - username : *gtalk - swairshah

*Location :* Gandhinagar/Ahmedabad , India (GMT +5:30)

*Proposal Title:* Project Integration

*Motivation for the proposal:* Before Project Integration Gsoc project, I
had started doing some research on another Nepo muk project : Building a
"real" query parser, and started reading webpages for writing context
free grammar to parse queries. Even before starting anything related to
coding I realized the need of a "Project Integration" which would keep all
the previously visited webpages, local files associated with the same
project, even the mail conversations I would have regarding the project and
at the same time the contacts related to the project.

I believe that Nepomuk is a very powerful project and its not being used by
KDE users to its full potential, probably because the lack 'front end'
applications like the Project Integration tool which would really show
Nepomuk in action.

Project Integration can be really powerful for development projects by
semantically linking code repositories, reference docs, tutorials, videos,
contacts etc. with a particular project. Apart from development projects,
such a framework can also be used for creating and searching a semantic
database for non development projects.

*Implementation Details:  *
About webpages:
There should be a way to tag webpages to the project db. Can use annotation
in Konqureror. For other browsers a currently running webpage can be tagged
with the project. (krunner can be used like say, projectname:Tag:webpage)

Files:
Any files can be tagged with the project name. There can be support for
automatic tagging so that user don't have to go and tag everything manually
(may be files edited in one 'session' can be included in the same project)
but i believe manual tagging is better as user would have full control over
the files and pages that are included in the project metadata.

Other contributors:
If there are other people working on the same project, their metadata will
be connected with my metadata. Email converstations with the coloborators
which have subject/content which contains name of the project will be added
in the rdf store for the project.

*Tentative Timeline:

*First half of may: Go through nepomuk code. Learn how to use virtuoso.
Start working on some basic RDF triple store creation to get experience.

Mid may- Mid june: Implement the support for local file tagging and start
working on webpage tagging for a particular projects.

Mid June - Mid July: Implement support for metadata sharing with different
contributors woking on the same project.

Mid-July - August Begining: Create a GUI widget which can be used to search
project content based on either project name or a file name, contributor
name who is associated with the project. It would return the list of all the
file, webpages, users.

August: Code clean up, Documentation, Debugging.

*About Me: *I am currently pursuing B. Tech. in information and
communication technology, currently in third year. I have been a KDE user
for 2 years now and I am a newcomer as a KDE developer. Python is the
language of my choice. I am comfortable with C/ C++ and Javascript.
I am not entirely new to Qt as I have a played around with plasmoids
before.

I am currently working on Semantic Search Challenge
2011<http://semsearch.yahoo.com/index.php>.
I am really interested in semantic web and familiar with different
ontologies. This makes semantic desktop a project of my interest.

Besides computer science I am interested in theoretical physics, applied
mathematics and music. I play guitar. I am a chess player.
I write general articles and about science and technology in my college
(web) magazine entelechy.