[Nepomuk] Re: Special Identifying Properties

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Thu Jul 28 14:19:59 CEST 2011

On 07/28/2011 12:56 PM, Vishesh Handa wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Sebastian Trüg <trueg at kde.org
> <mailto:trueg at kde.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/27/2011 11:42 PM, Vishesh Handa wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Sebastian Trüg <trueg at kde.org
>     <mailto:trueg at kde.org>
>     > <mailto:trueg at kde.org <mailto:trueg at kde.org>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     How about another parameter instead which specifies these kind of
>     >     properties in a list. Then a client can define what makes sense.
>     >
>     >
>     > That would increase the complexity of storeResources from a clients
>     > point of view. But I suppose we should provide overloaded variants of
>     > storeResources.
>     >
>     > The reason I want to specify this in the ontology is that I can't
>     think
>     > of a single use case where any of these properties would not be
>     globally
>     > identifying. Here is an idea : Maybe we could mark these properties as
>     > InverseFunctionProperties ( inverse cardinality = 1 ), that way we
>     know
>     > for a fact that they are globally identifying.
>
>     This does sound very reasonable.
>     BUT: the email is NOT such a property. It is a common use case for
>     families to share an email address. Still, they are different people.
>

> Actually your use case did pop into my mind, and then it occurred to me
> that a family email should not be added with nco:hasEmailAddress to the
> contact.
>
> Semantically, I would think a family would be represented by a
> nco:ContactGroup, and that contact group would collectively have one
> email address. Unfortunately nco:hasEmailAddress has a range of nco:Role.

This is of no real interest when it comes to emails. You receive two
emails, one from "Karl Mustermann <mustermann at gmail.com>" and one from
"Karla Mustermann <mustermann at gmail.com>". These are in fact two
different contacts which happen to use the same email address. As a user
I do not care about the email address though. I care about the name, the
person.
Putting these email addresses into a group seems rather random to me. A
contact group is more a group as defined by the user, not a "natural group".