[Nepomuk] Re: Need some advices about PIMO:Person

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 12:25:47 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 17:02, Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Btw. when reading the PIMO guide [3], it says on page 31 to copy all
> identifiers. Do I understand it correctly that it should copy all
> identifiers from new NCO:PersonContact into PIMO:Person (and should I do
> that too)? This seems like an unnecessary data duplication.
> identifiers:
> Copying the email addresses and other identifiers to the pimo:Person will
> help you identifying arbitrary data. Given you have some new data coming
> into the system, you may want to check if its already known.
> ("is this "Dirk" guy someone we know?). This is the "Check identifiers"
> step In Section 11.1 on page 30, where you check if you find a Pimo:Person
> that represents the resource you are working with.
> This is why it would be good to copy all identifiers over to the
> pimo:Person, to speed up lookups later.
> its data duplication, but it doesn't matter. The key point here is: you
> want to be veeery quick when identifying if any new data does mean something
> to you. And optimizing this read-accesses is always good. Say you read 100
> emails a day, roughly 10.000 a year. Quickly checking them against the 1000
> contacts you have is nicer if the identifying information is all in one
> place (that would be the pimo:Persons).

Actually after giving it some thought, it is not a good idea to copy data
into PIMO:Person. Imagine a use case, where you accidentally merge
NCO:PersonContact with PIMO:Person, which is not supposed to be there. Then
it's very hard and problematic to un-merge it. If you add it just as a
grounding occurence, it's easy to just remove this relation.

Or is there any good way how the un-merge can be done?