[Nepomuk] Re: Need some advices about PIMO:Person

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 17:02:30 CEST 2011

 On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 15:25, Leo Sauermann <leo.sauermann at gnowsis.com>
 wrote:

> **
> Hi Martin,
>
> I focus on the second part...below
>
> It was Martin Klapetek who said at the right time 20.07.2011 14:59 the
> following words:
>
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 14:13, Sebastian Trueg <trueg at kde.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> On 07/19/2011 07:46 PM, Martin Klapetek wrote:
>>
> > 2) How to pick "the right data"?
>> > For example address. Imagine you have three NCO:PersonContacts as a
>> > grounding occurence in PIMO:Person and all three have different
>> > addresses. We must again choose one as the "main/default" address, but
>> > how should I write that into PIMO:Person? Same with emails, phones etc.
>> > Of course I can simply pick the address from the first NCO:PersonContact
>> > in the result set, but that may be the wrong one. What do you think?
>>
>> IMHO use pimo:groundingOccurrence vs. pimo:occurrence. But maybe Leo can
>> shed some more light here since he created PIMO.
>>

> So pimo:occurence for everything and pimo:groundingOccurence for the
> "default" data? But that doesn't really work, because think of three
> properties - email, phone and an address. Each one of these is a separate
> NCO:PersonContact. So they should all be pimo:groundingOccurence then, but
> if for example the NCO:PersonContact for address have also email, we're
> doomed.
>

> The above sounds a bit shaky to me. You can also try german here to
> rephrase it.. :-)

Sorry my German is currently on level of simple words :)

> The way it was designed is that you end up with one pimo:Person to
> represent claudia:DirkHagemann - "The one and only Dirk Hagemann which I
> know and whom I contact using various ways".
> Then there is the "grounding occurrence" for Dirk Hagemann, which usually
> should map to the address book entry you would naturally open when clicking
> on Dirk - think of it as the default data object to open when the user wants
> to do something with Dirk.
> Then there are many occurrences of Dirk all over the place.

Yes, I understand that. But you can have more than one address book entry
for the Person - for example you have "home postal address" and "work postal
address", similarly a "personal email address" and a "work email address".
These can be all stored as a one nco:personContact per email/postal address
or all in one single nco:personcontact. But that's not really the point.
When you click on Dirk, you'd like to see his home postal address or his
personal email address (this could also be activity triggerable), in other
words, you want to set some email address as default. My question is, how
can I tag a particular email/postal/phone/whatever as a "preferred/default",
so when you want to quickly write an email, you just select Dirk and email
him to his default address.

Hope it's clearer now :)

> In the PIMO description [1] (btw, thanks for using it, this helps a lot and
> I need not to repeat), on page 10, in Section 6.5, there is an example
> explaining what it means in practice.
>
> I would not go so far to add pimo:occurrences to every email that Claudia
> and Dirk sent between each other. But adding multiple address book entries
> is fine.
>
> Sticking with pimo:occurrence and pimo:groundingOccurrence should be fine,
> I doubt that real-world systems will interpret pimo:referencingOccurrence
> soon (a Facebook URI would be something like this).

So what should I use pimo:occurence and pimo:groundOccurence for? I'm
currently using groundOccurence for all nco:personContacts.

> Btw. when reading the PIMO guide [3], it says on page 31 to copy all
> identifiers. Do I understand it correctly that it should copy all
> identifiers from new NCO:PersonContact into PIMO:Person (and should I do
> that too)? This seems like an unnecessary data duplication.
>

> identifiers:
> Copying the email addresses and other identifiers to the pimo:Person will
> help you identifying arbitrary data. Given you have some new data coming
> into the system, you may want to check if its already known.

I have currently some checks in place, but I'll add those from the guide as
well.

> ("is this "Dirk" guy someone we know?). This is the "Check identifiers"
> step In Section 11.1 on page 30, where you check if you find a Pimo:Person
> that represents the resource you are working with.
>

> This is why it would be good to copy all identifiers over to the
> pimo:Person, to speed up lookups later.

Ok, I'll add that as well.

> its data duplication, but it doesn't matter. The key point here is: you
> want to be veeery quick when identifying if any new data does mean something
> to you. And optimizing this read-accesses is always good. Say you read 100
> emails a day, roughly 10.000 a year. Quickly checking them against the 1000
> contacts you have is nicer if the identifying information is all in one
> place (that would be the pimo:Persons).

Sounds reasonable :)

> At least, thats the theory.

We'll see how it will stand in practice :D

Thanks,
Marty K.