[Nepomuk] Re: nfo:Website and what it really is

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Mon Jul 4 11:24:18 CEST 2011

HI Christian,

On 07/01/2011 04:41 PM, Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 14:15:46 +0200, Sebastian Trüg <trueg at kde.org> wrote:
>
>> Recently the issue of nfo:Bookmark vs. nfo:Website came up. I voted for
>> using nfo:Website only but then realized that I always had
>> misinterpreted its comment:
>> It states that nfo:Website is a container for remote resources such as
>> nfo:RemoteDataObject. And those remote resources are interpreted as
>> nfo:HtmlDocuments.
>>
>> Thus, we (I) always used nfo:Website wrong.
>>
>> Now the question is: should we correct our (my) usage and hope that
>> others will not step into the trap of thinking that a Website = Webpage?
>> Or should we change nfo:Website to be what we (well, me at least) always
>> thought it was: a web page/web address?
>>
>> In other words: should we improve the comment on nfo:Website to explain
>> that it is in fact not a single web page but a collection of pages
>> typically accessible through one domain?
>> Or should we change it to be a nie:DataObject which represents a single
>> web page?
>> Or should we (in addition to the first maybe) introduce another class
>> nfo:Webpage which is a nie:DataObject and can be part of a nfo:Website?
>

> Not sure if I got this right now. According to the docs an nmo:Website is
> kind of the collection of htmldocuments the website is consisting of,
> which makes sense IMO.

Yes, this is how I see it, too now

> I don't see a use in nfo:Webpage for a single htmldocument since there
> already is nfo:htmldocument, so it would be redundant.
> Especially in a time where a webpage is not necessarily linked to it's own
> htmldocument anymore (javascript and co).
> So I would suggest to correct the usage that an nfo:Website can be a
> collection of htmlDocuments and not just a single htmldocument.

The problem I see is that we would want a simple way to remember one web
"link". This includes generated pages. IMHO nfo:Bookmark is no solution
as it also links to a DataObject. Just using RemoveDataObject seems not
specific enough since searching for web links only is a typical task.

Thus, I think we need something like nfo:Webpage.