[Nepomuk] Re: running both stand-alone Virtuoso and Nepomuk on the same machine?

Vishesh Handa handa.vish at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 06:04:17 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 3:34 AM, Darren Cruse <darren.cruse at gmail.com>wrote:

> I know I should just try it before bothering you guys - but I just wondered
> off of the top of your heads if you guys think I'll encounter any conflicts
> installing stand-alone Virtuoso on the same machine Nepomuk is already
> running on?

No. There shouldn't be any conflicts.

> e.g. Am I mistaken or was Nepomuk talking to Virtuoso on Virtuoso's default
> "1111" port?  If so should I expect to not use that default for one or other
> of the two Virtuosos?

Short Answer: We talk to Virtuoso via Soprano through an ODBC driver.

Long Answer: All Nepomuk calls go through a local socket which then go to
Soprano which uses it's ODBC driver to issue the command on virtuoso.

> (if so I guess I can just change the port on the standalone install - I'm a
> little curious though - is Nepomuk's virtuoso configured the same way as the
> standalone would be?  i.e. are there config files somewhere I could snoop at
> even for Nepomuk's virtuoso?)

Soprano sets virtuoso's configuration through this createModel function over
here -
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kdesupport/soprano/repository/revisions/master/entry/backends/virtuoso/virtuosobackend.cpp

Nepomuk sets the configuration at this readVirtuosoSettings() function over
here -
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/runtime/nepomuk/services/storage/repository.cpp?view=markup

<https://projects.kde.org/projects/kdesupport/soprano/repository/revisions/master/entry/backends/virtuoso/virtuosobackend.cpp>

Vishesh Handa