[Nepomuk] Project Idea and Abstract - 7th semester CSE

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Tue Aug 23 14:07:04 UTC 2011

Hi Phaneendra,

some comments:

On 08/22/2011 10:39 PM, Phaneendra Hegde wrote:
> *A Pure Semantic Desktop
> *
>
> The project has 2 major parts - Metadata processing and developing
> applications using this powerful metadata.
>
> *Processing Metadata of Nepomuk*
>      Right now, Linking of resources is not done automatically by
> Nepomuk.We need to create tags for each resource manually. Since the
> content of all   files are already indexed and saved as part of the
> Nepomuk metadata, we could use this to automatically tag all the resources.
>
> Say, we have multiple files talking about 'technology', tags could be
> created based on their content and link them to each other accordingly.
> Similarly, resource linking could be carried out using other metadata
> automatically. (Based on rating, file mime type, creation date and time
> etc The nepomuk developer Vishesh Handa told me that he's also working
> on automatic tagging of resources using NLP. But we try to extend this
> idea by making use of these tagged resources. Tags can be used for
> linking different resources automatically.

Let me state that nao:Tag is intended for manual creation by the user.
Thus, if you want to do some auto-extraction of information rather use
something like pimo:Topic or even better specific types like
pimo:Project, pimo:Person, pimo:Location, pimo:Event, and so on.

In any case this sort of automatic relation creation is only of interest
if it uses actual NLP features which go beyond extracting keywords. By
that I mean disambiguation and topic detection without actually matching
the exact words.
Otherwise finding related resources on-the-fly would be much more
powerful without the problem of storing potentially wrong relations.
A query for the topics in the current resource could simply be done by
full-text search.

>          Finally, this might lead to a more semantic desktop, where all
> resources are inter related.A lot of new functionality can be added
> using this  information.

Like what? What is the advantage over the on-the-fly approach I mention
above (given that you mostly do keyword-extraction)?

> *Voice/text based desktop search engine
> *The user asks ( or types in ) a question, and he is provided with all
> the files/resources which match the criteria.
> eg. He may ask 'Which movie did I watch last Saturday'
> He will be provided with the list of movies he watched that day.
>
>      Natural Language processing will be used to process the question,
> and using metadata stored in Virtuso, the results are generated.A common
> voice to text converter could be used for audio queries.
>
>      People with physical disabilities could be benefited like this. It
> would make the desktop usage more interactive adding a real life
> perspective to
> desktop usage.  KDE doesn't have any voice based search as of now
> (AFAIK), and this feature might become one of the key feature in future.
> For searching , we have thought of providing "search and launch" kind of
> plasma plugin/tool which can be used as searching tools like
>             synapse,gnome-do etc. More or less it might look like Google
> search box , which provides voice based search with small voice input
> icon on
> right corner.

I am not convinced by this. 1. This is a very hard topic and too much
for your rather short project alone, and 2. the hard part is extracting
the question from the text which requires a lot of powerful NLP. IMHO it
is not worth the effort at the moment.

> *Intelligent file browser

Also? IMHO this alone would be sufficient for the time you have.

> *Plugin for file browser which suggests files/resources which are
> similar to the file currently being used/selected.*
> *
> eg: Say user selects a song of a particular band, then he would be
> suggested songs from the same band or any other metadata.

A plugin system for this already exists in nepomukannotation and could
serve as a basis.

All in all I think you take on way too much. You should rather try to
trim it down and define in more detail what you want to accomplish.