[Nepomuk] Fwd: Project Idea and Abstract - 7th semester CSE

Phaneendra Hegde pnh.pes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 20:39:54 UTC 2011

Hello Nepomuk Developers,

I am Phaneendra Hegde, a student of Engineering in PESIT,Bangalore,India .
I have an idea which makes use of nepomuk at the backend.  I,  along with
two of my friends,  have decided to take this project for next one year.

*A Pure Semantic Desktop
*

The project has 2 major parts - Metadata processing and developing
applications using this powerful metadata.

*Processing Metadata of Nepomuk*
     Right now, Linking of resources is not done automatically by Nepomuk.We
need to create tags for each resource manually. Since the content of all
files are already indexed and saved as part of the Nepomuk metadata, we
could use this to automatically tag all the resources.

Say, we have multiple files talking about 'technology', tags could be
created based on their content and link them to each other accordingly.
Similarly, resource linking could be carried out using other metadata
automatically. (Based on rating, file mime type, creation date and time
etc The nepomuk developer Vishesh Handa told me that he's also working on
automatic tagging of resources using NLP. But we try to extend this idea by
making use of these tagged resources. Tags can be used for linking different
resources automatically.

         Finally, this might lead to a more semantic desktop, where all
resources are inter related.A lot of new functionality can be added using
this  information.

*Voice/text based desktop search engine
*The user asks ( or types in ) a question, and he is provided with all the
files/resources which match the criteria.
eg. He may ask 'Which movie did I watch last Saturday'
He will be provided with the list of movies he watched that day.

     Natural Language processing will be used to process the question, and
using metadata stored in Virtuso, the results are generated.A common voice
to text converter could be used for audio queries.

     People with physical disabilities could be benefited like this. It
would make the desktop usage more interactive adding a real life perspective
desktop usage.  KDE doesn't have any voice based search as of now (AFAIK),
and this feature might become one of the key feature in future.
For searching , we have thought of providing "search and launch" kind of
plasma plugin/tool which can be used as searching tools like
        synapse,gnome-do etc. More or less it might look like Google search
box , which provides voice based search with small voice input icon on
right corner.

*Intelligent file browser
*Plugin for file browser which suggests files/resources which are similar to
the file currently being used/selected.*
*
eg: Say user selects a song of a particular band, then he would be suggested
songs from the same band or any other metadata.

This idea is the combination of 3-4 ideas which can be found at nepomuk idea
page <http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Nepomuk> .

I highly appreciate your comments and I'll be very happy to take your
suggestions regarding this project.

Thank you :)

Cheers
- PNH