[Nepomuk] Re: Navigating Nepomuk::Resources in Dolphin?

Vishesh Handa handa.vish at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 21:28:27 CEST 2011

Hey Matthias

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Matthias Fuchs <mat69 at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while adding metada to files downloaded via KGet and comics stored on your
> computer I came across a problem and I think I have an idea which could
> solve
> it.
>
> Suppose the following case:
>
> Nepomuk::File downloadedFile(dest);
> Nepomuk::Resource hashRes(hash, NFO::FileHash());
> hashRes.addProperty(NFO::hashAlgorithm(), hashType);
> hashRes.addProperty(NFO::hashValue(), hash);
> hashRes.setLabel(hashType);
> downloadedFile.addProperty(NFO::hasHash(), hasRes);
>
> In this case Dolphin would show e.g. "Has hash: _MD5_", yet there would be
> no
> way to see what the actual hash looks like in dolphin. Clicking on _MD5_
> would
> start a query. A kinda wrong workaround would be to directly do
> downloadedFile.addProperty(NFO::hashAlgorithm(), hashType); and
> downloadedFile.addProperty(NFO::hashValue(), hash);
> what I do at the moment. But it is _really_ wrong.

Yup. That's wrong! Soon, you won't be able to do even if you wanted to!

What I thought of now is just an idea, nothing is implemented yet.
> The user should have the possibility to browse resources in the side panel.
> If clicking on a resource (e.g. middle click, as left click is already in
> useage) that one would be displayed instead, a back arrow would make it
> possible to go to the initial resource.

I have trouble middle clicking on my laptop. :P Maybe we could have some
kind of pop-up menu which comes on left-clicking on the link. Like the one
that comes when you try to moves files into a folder in Dolphin. That should
allow us to easily add some basic actions.

> That way the following scenarios would be possible:
> 1. A user wants to check if a file that has a hash assigned to it is still
> valid. Clicking on "MD5" he is presented with the information needed and
> compares that with the output of md5sum.
> 2. A user wants to call a person, who a file came from, via telephone. To
> get
> the telephone number he would simply click on the person's name in the
> information of that file and then on the entry for "Has Phone Number".
> He does not have to open a different tool like KRunner or the adress book.
> Everything would be visually directly connected to the file instead.

This would be very nice. We would need some kind of rule based framework for
this.

> Now after looking shortly at the way the side panel is implemented there
> might
> be some problems e.g.: KFileMetaDataWidget request KFileItems, so it would
> have to be done inside of KFileMetaDataWidget since resources are no
> KFileItems. Which would change the meaning of the KFileMetaDataWidget.
>

> What do you think of the general idea? Is it something worth looking into?

I actually don't like the Dolphin Side Panel that much. Specially for
showing large amounts of metadata. It's just too small. Even on a wide
screen, I do not give it much space. Implementation wise, the side panel
could always be implemented differently, if all the concerned developers
agree.

--
Vishesh Handa