[Nepomuk] Getting started with Nepomuk

Vishesh Handa handa.vish at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 19:59:48 CEST 2011

*This is an introductory mail to the Nepomuk GSoC students. I'm trying to do
stuff more publicly these days, and therefore I'm going to be spamming this
list a lot.*
*
*
Hey Guys!

Welcome to Nepomuk/KDE Google Summer of Code. For those of you who don't
know, this year we have 3 slots, and we may have a couple of students for
Season of KDE as well. Apart from getting 3 direct Nepomuk slots, KDE PIM
also has one Nepomuk related project ( PIMO Integration ), and so does
Zeitgeist. So loads of Nepomuk stuff this summer!

We are probably going to have weekly meetings. Sebastian and I can discuss
what will be a convenient time for all of us. ( More on this later )

It would be best if you got started with compiling the trunk. There is more
than enough documentation on how to do that on the Techbase. Most of the
Nepomuk code is at kde-runtime/nepomuk and kdelibs/nepomuk. Apart from that
there are several Nepomuk related projects on projects.kde.org. Feel free to
start reading through the code. There is also some Nepomuk Documentation[1]
to get you started. All of the documentation is NOT up to date, so if
something is missing, please let us know.

The Semantic Web and the Ontologies play a very big role in Nepomuk. If
you're not familiar with RDF[2], and the Nepomuk ontologies[3] - start now.

And finally, the Nepomuk Junior Jobs[4] are a great way to contribute a
little. They aren't that many left, but I would really like it someone would
do the Strigi restart one.

Let the community bonding period begin

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Nepomuk#Documentation
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-primer/