[Nepomuk] Re: Correct usage of ontologies?

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Mon Apr 4 15:38:39 CEST 2011

On 04/04/2011 02:55 PM, Matthias Fuchs wrote:
> Am Montag 04 April 2011, 10:36:39 schrieb Sebastian Trüg:

>>> The idea why I wanted to use topic was that some comics actually have a
>>> title. E.g. http://xkcd.com/221/
>>> Here you have "XKCD", strip "221" by "Randall Munroe", with the title
>>> "Random Number".
>>
>> I see. Then for now using nie:title for the name of the comic strip and
>> using pimo:topic for the name of the comic series might be a solution
>> indeed.
>
> So something like this should be ok?
>
> Nepomuk::Resource topic(mComicTitle, Nepomuk::Vocabulary::PIMO::Topic());

> topic.setProperty(Nepomuk::Vocabulary::NAO::prefLabel(), mComicTitle);

or just use setLabel

> topic.setProperty(Nepomuk::Vocabulary::PIMO::superTopic(), i18n("Comic"));

actually a supertopic is a topic again:
Resource comicTopic("Comic", PIMO::Topic());
comicTopic.setLabel("Comic");
topic.setProperty(PIMO::superTopic(), comicTopic);

> res.setProperty(Nepomuk::Vocabulary::PIMO::Topic(), topic);

pimo:Topic is the type. Thus, you need to use;

res.setProperty(Nepomuk::Vocabulary::NAO::hasTag(), topic);

It is a bit weird. Soon Nepomuk will check ranges and domains. Then you
will get an error if you try to use a class as a property or use an
invalid property value.

>>> Yes you are right in this regard, that it basically is the same
>>> information. Though I wonder what the common demoniator could be named.
>>> Also important is that some comics are identified by a number, while
>>> others are either identified by a date or even their title.
>>> Comparing that with an episode is probably not the right way, since an
>>> episode has always a distinctive number, a title and then maybe the date
>>> of the first airing.
>>
>> I thought about a generic base like:
>>
>> nmm:Series
>> nmm:TVSeries subclass of nmm:Series
>> nmm:ComicSeries subclass of nmm:Series
>>
>> nmm:Episode
>> nmm:TVShow subclassof nmm:Episode
>>
>> and then we change the range and domain of nmm:series to the base classes.
>>
>> This way we could either add something like nmm:ComicEpisode or just use
>> the base class with a nie:title and no numbering and no season information.
>
> Ah I see.
> There is still one problem with comics. Meaning that there is no rule. Some
> comics are organised liked books into chapters, then into episodes and then
> into the strips of the episodes. [1]

This is comparable to show, season, episode

> At the same time others are organised into volumes, then chapters, then pages.
> [2]

same as above - only the naming differs really.

> Simple ones like Garfiled or XKCD are only "organised" via their number or
> date.

Here we could have only one "season".

So maybe this could work after all - in case the naming of the
categorization is not really important we could use the same approach
for all.

The only question then would be: how to name the base class for Season?