[Nepomuk] Re: Correct usage of ontologies?

Matthias Fuchs mat69 at gmx.net
Mon Apr 4 14:55:17 CEST 2011

Am Montag 04 April 2011, 10:36:39 schrieb Sebastian Trüg:
> On 04/03/2011 08:17 PM, Matthias Fuchs wrote:
> > Am Samstag 02 April 2011, 20:59:10 schrieb Sebastian Trüg:
> >> First for the creators of the comic you use nco:PersonContact with its
> >> typical properties. This is also what is used for artists of audio
> >> files.
> >>
> >> As for stating who created the comic. For now you can use nco:creator
> >> although IMHO that is not entirely correct. We actually need to
> >> fix/improve the ontologies in that respect (I will create appropriate
> >> tickets for sdo next week).
> >>
> >> The comic name: IMHO you should use nie:title. topic does not makes
> >> sense since it is intended to group things rather than giving them a
> >> title or a name. In the end topics are not much more than tags.
> >
> > The idea why I wanted to use topic was that some comics actually have a
> > title. E.g. http://xkcd.com/221/
> > Here you have "XKCD", strip "221" by "Randall Munroe", with the title
> > "Random Number".
>
> I see. Then for now using nie:title for the name of the comic strip and
> using pimo:topic for the name of the comic series might be a solution
> indeed.

So something like this should be ok?

Nepomuk::Resource topic(mComicTitle, Nepomuk::Vocabulary::PIMO::Topic());
topic.setProperty(Nepomuk::Vocabulary::NAO::prefLabel(), mComicTitle);
topic.setProperty(Nepomuk::Vocabulary::PIMO::superTopic(), i18n("Comic"));
res.setProperty(Nepomuk::Vocabulary::PIMO::Topic(), topic);

> >> An even fancier approach though would be to define a comic series and
> >> episodes of that. Here the question is whether we can reuse or improve
> >> NMM which already contains classes and properties to describe tv shows
> >> and episodes.
> >>
> >> Do you think we could find common ground between comics and tv shows?
> >> Maybe common base classes?
> >
> > Yes you are right in this regard, that it basically is the same
> > information. Though I wonder what the common demoniator could be named.
> > Also important is that some comics are identified by a number, while
> > others are either identified by a date or even their title.
> > Comparing that with an episode is probably not the right way, since an
> > episode has always a distinctive number, a title and then maybe the date
> > of the first airing.
>
> I thought about a generic base like:
>
> nmm:Series
> nmm:TVSeries subclass of nmm:Series
> nmm:ComicSeries subclass of nmm:Series
>
> nmm:Episode
> nmm:TVShow subclassof nmm:Episode
>
> and then we change the range and domain of nmm:series to the base classes.
>
> This way we could either add something like nmm:ComicEpisode or just use
> the base class with a nie:title and no numbering and no season information.

Ah I see.
There is still one problem with comics. Meaning that there is no rule. Some
comics are organised liked books into chapters, then into episodes and then
into the strips of the episodes. [1]
At the same time others are organised into volumes, then chapters, then pages.
[2]
Simple ones like Garfiled or XKCD are only "organised" via their number or
date.
I guess there are also a some other forms of organising them.

So far I do not present the magnitude of all that data to the user and the
developers of comic plugins, as I have not thought of a nice java script API
yet. Thus what you propose would be sufficent for the current situation, but
would not be ideal to represent comics per se.

For me comics could be categorized by how they work. So some would have a lot
in common with newspapers, others instead would rather be like books...
So the mmm:ComicSeries looks nice at first, but it really depends on the
properties which would exist and be applyable. I know you could apply
everything to everything, though in some cases it makes more semantic sense
than in others.

Cheers,
matthias

[1] Death and Maiden II