[Nepomuk] Re: Indexing

Vishesh Handa handa.vish at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 18:31:05 CEST 2010

Hi!

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Bèrto ëd Sèra <berto.d.sera at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I suppose this is probably more of a strigi question, anyway... I have a
> laptop accessing a number of NFS partitions on which are all family pics,
> videos, movies, ebooks etc. They are connected through wi-fi. After enabling
> the indexing I have been observing an almost total home bandwidth saturation
> for days now. Bear in mind that it may also be a digikam issue (this is a
> known problem, as it's got to make a map of almost 300Gbs of pics). Digikam
> is currently closed, traffic doesn't stop anyway.
>
> Is there any way for me to track the traffic? server side, iotop simply
> says data moves thru NFS.

Not really. You can track what it is currently indexing, but you won't even
get a % done. Maybe we should implement some kind of progress bar indicating
the amount indexed. I think I could do that in an ad-hoc manner. Anyway, you
can track what is being indexed by System Settings->Desktop
Search->Currently indexing ( or something like that. It's a button. )

Internally Nepomuk uses a recursive call on each directory which is to be
indexed, filters out all the files/folders and then passes the files it
should index to Strigi. The amount of data read ( from the file ) depends on
the Strigi Analyzer. They don't usually (?) read the contents of the entire
file, but I'm not too sure about this.

- Vishesh Handa