[Nepomuk] Re: nepomuk & gnome & firefox

Richard Dale richard.j.dale at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 01:04:01 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Evgeny Egorochkin
<phreedom.stdin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 20 November 2010 21:09:13 Adrien Bustany wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> on GNOME the standard semantic engine is called Tracker
>> (tracker-project.org). It also uses the Nepomuk ontologies, so it
>> should be easy to make things work the same in GNOME and KDE. Having a
>> common interface surely sounds like a good idea. The question is now if
>> we want a high level interface (ie. "add a tag") or a low level one
>> ("run sparql query")...
>
> Unfortunately the "run sparql query"  interface is mostly useless if desktops
> are running incompatible ontologies which is the case right now.
It would certainly be nice if the Nepomuk ontologies used by Tracker
could be coordinated better with the upstream Nepomuk ontologies. And
I can confirm that this is something the Tracker team would like to
improve in the future. Tracker uses a different dialect of SPARQL
compared with Virtuoso, and it also doesn't use named graphs like KDE
Nepomuk does.

In spite of all this, I think it is no bad thing to have a compatible
SPARQL level Qt-like api such as Soprano or QSparql, because that
makes it easier to build the common higher level interfaces on top of.
Then only the implementors of the higher level api will have to deal
with the differences, and not the end user programmers. Having some
sort of common Qt based low level api is a lot better than none at all
IMHO.

-- Richard