[Nepomuk] Re: nepomuk & gnome & firefox

Bruce Adams tortoise_74 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 10:48:59 CET 2010

Hi,
  This is the natural answer as this is a list about Nepomuk as a component of
KDE.
Perhaps the question should be re-stated.
How can basic metadata like tags be shared between KDE and non KDE
applications.
There are several different ways of thinking about this problem.
 1) ignore it and stick to KDE application.
 2) have a common API at the application level
 3) have common ontologies at the RDF level.
 4) have a mechanism for exporting and importing data to and from a Nepomuk
database.

I guess I'm looking for an answer along the lines of the common API which
ultimately
should go upstream as a freedesktop.org standard like DBus.
Though it would be great if we could get the same API used by Mozilla and
available
on M$ windows as well.
I suppose in order to make the common API useable you need to share some basic
ontology
so this cannot be entirely eliminated from consideration.
Export and Import should take account of what the target is but export and
import of a standard
format like XML would be a sufficient start. The trick would be to be selective.
E.g. export
only the metadata relevant for a given file that is compatible with a given
common/foreign ontology.

Where are Gnome with Xesame? I have heard nepomuk be described as the defacto
standard
(for a common API) which to me implies that nepomuk is more evolved and they
have some
catching up to do or need to adopt the nepomuk API. Would the gnome people ever
be willing to
rely on something that is built on top of Qt? I know there were wars over this
long ago before the
license details were sorted but there may still be issues over introducing
unnecessary/unwanted
dependencies.

Regards,

Bruce.

PS Can you point me at more information on what Mandriva are planning for
firefox?