[Nepomuk] Handling filex:/ urls

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Wed Jul 14 11:35:00 CEST 2010

On 07/08/2010 05:59 PM, Andrew Lake wrote:
> A fellow developer working with me on Bangarang encountered a
> situation where all his media resources on a FAT32 partition started
> showing up with filex:/ urls.  The partition is mounted, and as far as
> he can tell has always been mounted.

If solid treats the device as removable then Nepomuk will convert all
the URLs into filex:/ ones to allow matching properly when remounting at
another mount point.

> Bangarang currently retrieves
> the url via SPARQL using the nie:url resource property.
>
> How would I go about accessing the normal file:/ url to allow the app
> to play the media?

The whole filex:/ situation is a bit weird. I am not sure yet on how to
solve it. Currently you can ask the removablestorageservice to translate
the filex:/ URL into a local file:/ URL. It has a DBus method for that
which is also used in Nepomuk::Resource.
That said it could make sense to add functionality to Nepomuk::Resource
to expose the local path of a file.

I think we need to discuss the whole issue with removable media again.
Should the files be indexed? Should the metadata be removed when
unmounting? But then we have the same problem again: the fat partition
you mention is not removable as far as the user is concerned. How to
detect that?