[Nepomuk] bibliography ontology

mutlu_inek mutlu_inek at yahoo.de
Fri Jan 15 02:36:31 CET 2010

Hi all,

I just read the bibliography ontology thread on the mailing list. Sebastian wrote that he "recently tried a few multimedia centers like MythTV and friends and realized they got all their metadata from web sites by parsing the file names. Maybe we could do something like that for music and video files, too, and maybe even for books and articles..."

I would like to add that regarding bibliographic information, there is a quite common format on library websites called MARC tags, which can be parsed from the relevant websites. However, MARC tags are legacy format and highly ambigious (e.g. they don't distinguish between author, editor and contributor). There is a number of alternative emering formats out there, which overcome the many shortcomings of MARC. Especially university libraries are slowly migrating to newer metadata formats. Zotero, an excellent and highly popular F/OSS Firefox plugin which functions as an Endnote replacement (and does way more than Endnote by now; try it out!) is on the forefront in pushing libraries toward new standards. They recommend libraries to use either unAPI or COinS. A short list of emerging formats can be found here: http://niche-canada.org/member-projects/zotero-guide/chapter1.html#metadata

Also, the Zotero team has written thousands of custom "translators" for academic journals, governments websites, etc. Have a look here: http://www.zotero.org/translators

I hope this is helpful.