[Nepomuk] The quest for media metadata in libstreamanalyzer

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 08:11:23 CET 2010

В сообщении от Пятница 05 февраля 2010 07:38:26 автор Evgeny Egorochkin
написал:

> However, it rarely extracts media duration. It seems that most of the time
>  the duration is not a precise value, rather and estimation and ffmpeg
>  doesn't do estimates. Looks like I need to take some code that does this
>  from another project... If this is sorted out I think out media troubles
>  are over.

I have found how to resolve this problem and now I'm reliably getting all the
metadata we need. I was really surprised that most of video files don't
explicitly store duration. To obtain a good estimate you need to decode a part
of the file. This accounts for most of the slowness of libxine.

At this moment I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll have good and stream-
friendly media support in several days

--
Evgeny