[Nepomuk] The quest for media metadata in libstreamanalyzer

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 06:38:26 CET 2010

В сообщении от Среда 03 февраля 2010 06:45:58 автор Evgeny Egorochkin написал:
> What am I going to do about it?
>
> Type ffmpeg -formats :)
>
> ffmpeg libs have a much more complex api, but it also has a huge number of
> supported formats and can be made to work with streams(!).
>
> So, if ffmpeg-produced metadata is going to suck as much(which indeed may
> happen), at least it's going to suck the same regardless of data location
>  and we have 1 less wrapper.

I'm playing with ffmpeg now.

The results so far:

* Definitely faster and more stable than xine.
* Produces much better metadata for streams (such as audio channel count which
xine usually failed to produce).
* supports multiple audio/video streams.
* Extracts metadata such as title and comments.

However, it rarely extracts media duration. It seems that most of the time the
duration is not a precise value, rather and estimation and ffmpeg doesn't do
estimates. Looks like I need to take some code that does this from another
project... If this is sorted out I think out media troubles are over.

Of course I'm yet to implement a ffmpeg<->streams adaptor, because this is
certainly doable and I'm more concerned with what the library can do for us.

--
Evgeny