[Nepomuk] How to model relations of PIMO::Topics

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 22 17:35:36 CET 2010

Hi,

I have some questions about the correct use of PIMO::Topics.

In my application I organize notes/todos/events within PIMO::Topics.
So you can for instance have the topics and subtopics:

-work
	-project1
	-project2
-home
	-buylist
	-randomotherstuff
	-...

the notes/etc. are then related to these topics.

I made the subtopic relation so far with the PIMO::isRelated() property.
Now I noticed there is pimo:superTopic and pimo:subTopic, which is probably
more suitable for that purpose?

Further I stumbled upon another problem.
If there are several topics with the same name, i.e:

-work
	-uniquesubtopic
	-globaltopic
-home
	-uniquesubtopic
	-globaltopic

the two "uniquesubtopic" topics should usually contain different items,
respectively be different topics. Since i currently use the topicname as
identifier, this is not possible atm.

On the other hand it would be nice, if it was possible to also have the same
topic (not only the same topicname, but exactly the same topics) below two
different supertopics (like a link).

So would it make sense to just use random identifiers (i.e. a number), and
setting the topicname only as label?

Of course that makes it difficult to find the topic thing again and it would be
easier if I would use i.e. the tree "work/uniquesubtopic".
But that again doesn't work if the same topic is under two different
supertopics.

So ideally i would create for the "uniquesubtopic" a thing with a gloabally
unique identifier, but which is retrievable over the identifier
"work/uniquesubtopic" and a different thing which is retrievable over the
identifier "home/uniquesubtopic".

For the globaltopic i would create a single thing which is retrievable over
the two identifiers "work/globaltopic" and "home/globaltopic".

Is that possible somehow?

Thanks for your help,

Chris