No subject

Mon Dec 6 00:31:50 CET 2010

right is that complicated. We just haven't gotten the time to implement it!

> I'd like to mention that the workflow in digikam works excellent! We have
> all
> our photos in a shared directory. The sqlite3 file digikam4.db is
> read/write
> for all users, so each of us can tag photos (even concurrently) in digikam
> in
> our own accounts.

Could you elaborate on this? If you're doing it concurrently that means the
database is stored in some kind of shared folder?

> Talking about concurrent access: are you sure 2 nepomuk clients cannot
> access
> the db at the same time? It works with digikam. You can have two running
> instances of digikam (in two accounts), and when you change metadata
> located
> in digikam4.db, the change is immediately visible in the other running
> instance of digikam

Digikam uses an sqllite database, we do not. There is an option for
exporting the digikam data to Nepomuk, but internally digikam only uses
sqllite.

> cheers,
> Kusi

Vishesh Handa

--20cf3054ac8b37caa30496bf7cf5

us Leuthold <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nepomuk at titlis.org">nep=
style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
&gt; &gt; Hello list<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; We share our computer among several persons, each with a separate=
 user<br>
&gt; &gt; account. We want to have a shared nepomuk database. What&#39;s th=
e best way<br>
&gt; &gt; to do this? Creating a symlink of ~/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk to a =
shared<br>
&gt; &gt; folder?<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; best regards<br>
&gt; &gt; Kusi<br>
&gt; This is tricky. It could be hacked with links indeed. But then no two<=
br>
&gt; users could ever be logged in at the same time.<br>
&gt; Why do you want to share the database?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Cheers,<br>
&gt; Sebastian<br>
xamples:<br>
- me and my girlfriend are planning our vacation. She&#39;s tagging documen=
ts,<br>
pictures etc with the tag &quot;vacation-2010&quot;. In my account, I&#39;d=
 like to see now<br>
what is already available when I&#39;m organizing our vacations in my accou=
nt.<br>
r girl-friend and you have separate computers? I&#39;m just saying that I t=
hink it would a lot-lot easier for us to work towards metadata sharing, rat=
her than focusing on having a common Nepomuk db.</div>
;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
- we&#39;re preparing a playlist for a party. We&#39;d like to set the tag =
&quot;party-<br>
playlist&quot; in dolphin, running in each one&#39;s account. Since we&#39;=
re in a hurry,<br>
we&#39;re tagging the music at the same time on two different computers. So=
 it<br>
should be possible to have the nepomuk db on a remote location.<br>
. I think it would be a lot simpler just for each person to have their own =
their Nepomuk db ( like it is right now ), and additionally have metadata s=
haring. That way you can easily query all the music that has been tagged by=
 &#39;person&#39;.=A0</div>
ituation where there is a central database. In your case, what if the remot=
e location isn&#39;t available at that point? With a de-centralized system,=
 you can easily share or sync the metadata at a later point.</div>
border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
As mentioned later in this thread, not all tags should be shared. It would =
be<br>
nice to have several nepomuk-dbs (private/shared). I understand that it&#39=
;s<br>
quite tricky to get the sharing right: It doesn&#39;t make sense to share t=
ags for<br>
object which are not shared.<br>
You could say that tags of files which are readable by both accounts should=
also be saved in a shared nepomuk-db. Probably best would be an extended us=
er<br>
interface where the user can choose the nepomuk location.<br>
itching databases, and a lot of other ugly stuff like - which database shou=
ld the indexed data be stored? What about the case where there is data comm=
on to both the databases? We would need another virtuoso instance running i=
e more memory consumption.</div>
;t think getting sharing right is that complicated. We just haven&#39;t got=
_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:=
1ex;">

I&#39;d like to mention that the workflow in digikam works excellent! We ha=
ve all<br>
our photos in a shared directory. The sqlite3 file digikam4.db is read/writ=
e<br>
for all users, so each of us can tag photos (even concurrently) in digikam =
in<br>
n this? If you&#39;re doing it concurrently that means the database is stor=
ed in some kind of shared folder?</div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" st=
yle=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

Talking about concurrent access: are you sure 2 nepomuk clients cannot acce=
ss<br>
the db at the same time? It works with digikam. You can have two running<br=

instances of digikam (in two accounts), and when you change metadata locate=
d<br>
in digikam4.db, the change is immediately visible in the other running<br>
instance of digikam<br>
o not. There is an option for exporting the digikam data to Nepomuk, but in=
lockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px =
#ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

cheers,<br>
Kusi<br>