[Nepomuk] properties range and RDF literals

Evstifeev Roman someuniquename at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 21:51:46 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 20 of April 2010 18:38:27 Sebastian Trüg wrote:
> I agree with you. I actually think that there is not a single property
> in the Nepomuk ontologies that could not have a typed literal range
> (well, except for the ones that have non-literal ranges of course).
> But changing that now could break backwards compatibility without any
> real gain. At least I cannot think of any practical advantage to fixing
> the ranges.

Ok. There is another question.
Dolphin can assign nao:description to file. It uses typed RDF literal of type
xsd:string as a value. (and it is ok, as range is any rdfs:Literal)
But let's look at rdfs:comment, the superproperty of nao:description. It has a
rdfs:Literal range too.
In ontology graphs _plain_ RDF literals are used as values of rdfs:comment
property. (for ex. <nao:Party> <rdfs:comment> "Represents a single or a group
of individuals")
So the question is what is preferable type for values of those properties (and
all the other properties with range of rdfs:Literal) - plain RDF literal, or
typed with xsd:string type?