ring-kde unstable uscan needed

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Tue Sep 18 12:24:25 BST 2018

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 11:58:59AM -0700, Scarlett Clark wrote:
> Is there a way to use uscan on unstable for this one job? The way I got
> everything to work is some uscan fun.
> If you look at my watch file and copyright:
> https://packaging.neon.kde.org/extras/ring-kde.git/tree/debian/watch
> https://packaging.neon.kde.org/extras/ring-kde.git/tree/debian/copyright
>
> I have uscan bring in ring-kde and two "components" - as second and third
> sources being libringqt and ring itself. We only use the dbus xml and a handful
> of headers from ring, so I used the undocumented "feature" of uscan and put in
> Files-Excluded in the copyright so that uscan then repacks ring with only the
> needed files. Then dpkg-source does the right thing with the components and
> unpacks them in the build directory and it will build. I don't see how to
> accomplish this in the unstable git world.

Nah, we only use uscan to download stable tars for our stable release and -lts editions.

In the dev edition world we use git as you can see so a different approach is needed.  Digikam has a similar issue of needing to extract a bunch of external stuff to be useful.

https://packaging.neon.kde.org/neon-packaging/digikam.git/tree/debian/rules?h=Neon/unstable
In debian/rules it checks if it's a git repo and if so runs the 'ruby debian/git_extend_orig.rb' script

https://packaging.neon.kde.org/neon-packaging/digikam.git/tree/debian/git_extend_orig.rb?h=Neon/unstable
This script removes the git stuff except for the packaging, does a fresh clone then runs another script which is inside digikam

digikam's download-repos runs git slave (gits) to checkout all the extra git bits digikam needs

So I guess something similar would work here, another script in your packaging to checkout bits as needed and delete bits as needed.

Jonathan