[neon] Failed to update-alternatives

Paul Loughman snowhg at icloud.com
Wed Apr 6 23:20:45 UTC 2016

Just finished upgrading my KDE neon (previously setup per instructions on a fully updated Kubuntu 15.04) to Kubuntu 16.04. Used sudo do-release-upgrade -d and after it fully finished, uncommented the kde neon entry in sources.list and ran sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. After that fully finished I noticed it ended with:

Setting up plymouth-theme-breeze (5.6.0+git20160405.1330+16.04-0) ...
update-alternatives: error: alternative path /lib/plymouth/themes/breeze/breeze.plymouth doesn't exist
E: Failed to update-alternatives
dpkg: error processing package plymouth-theme-breeze (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
plymouth-theme-breeze

plymouth-theme-breeze is installed, as show by attempting to reinstall it with sudo apt-get install —reinstall plymouth-theme-breeze.

My new Kubuntu 16.04 KDE neon boots and runs fine, so I believe that this error isn’t affecting things, but like most, I don’t like to see reported errors. So, is this fixable?

Paul Loughman
snowhg at icloud.com