Alpha4 update 1 landed on stable

Harri Pasanen harri at mpaja.com
Sat Oct 6 21:27:38 UTC 2012

On 10/06/2012 10:20 PM, BogDan Vatra wrote:
>    - 44% of the devices that downloaded Ministro are low-end armv5
> devices, so folks, keep this number in mind, and make sure that your
> apps work well on these devices!

Congratulations on the download numbers!

Not to rain on your parade,  but high download numbers for armv5 is not
necessarily positive though.
I've said this before, but as I think it is important, I'll just say it
again.

For many the low-end armv5 experience will not be good, not because of
Qt/Necessitas, but because memory/speed and other hardware issues.
However, many users are also likely to blame Qt/Necessitas for it and it
will get a bad reputation that will hang on those users mind long after
they are no longer using armv5.    Just look at what happened to Nokia
when they tried to push phones with low memory and CPU for a long
time.   Also Nokia Store user reviews for Qt apps are filled with one
star reviews because the Qt download failed for some old device.

So personally I'm not going to even offer armv5 builds, and I'd go as
far as vote for disabling it in Necessitas for a future release, now
marking it deprecated.

Just my 2 cents,

Harri