Puttin' on the GL(itz)

BogDan bog_dan_ro at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 16:49:11 UTC 2012

Hi Gabi,

>Hi,
>
>I am outside my comfort zone to comment here but you look like you know what you are doing. I was thinking about the problem of displaying video using the same surface in Qt. Would it be possible, instead of using OpenMAX, to use the higher level Android's MediaPlayer class but as a "library" instead?

Android's MediaPlayer (the native part) is not public, anyway OpenMAX is built on top of it, so, starting with android-14 we should use it if we can,

> You need to provide a SurfaceHolder to MediaPlayer which usually comes from a SurfaceView. I do not know yet but I was wondering if we could provide our own interface. Then, the SurfaceHolder.lockCanvas() would return a Canvas that points to a section of the Bitmap inside the QtSurface.  In theory, MediaPlayer would write directly to the already existing surface. Of course, I have not tested if this is possible!

Is not that simple :) ! And sadly, is not possible :(,  please read my first mail, there I (tried to) explain how it works (at
least starting with android-14 (11 seems to be the same)).

>I just like the idea of using MediaPlayer directly because, if Android is ported to a device that does not support OpenMAX (As always, there are other standards...), using the MediaPlayer directly would make it transparent to this project.

OpenMAX is a public API, this means that all android devices with andoid-14+ *must* support it !

Anyway, the idea which I tried to describe in this thread, will work on android-14+, so for the rest versions we mu find something else.