Puttin' on the GL(itz)

Gabi Julien gabi.julien at gmail.com
Sun May 6 20:22:23 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am outside my comfort zone to comment here but you look like you know
what you are doing. I was thinking about the problem of displaying video
using the same surface in Qt. Would it be possible, instead of using
OpenMAX, to use the higher level Android's MediaPlayer class but as a
"library" instead? You need to provide a SurfaceHolder to MediaPlayer which
usually comes from a SurfaceView. I do not know yet but I was wondering if
we could provide our own interface. Then, the SurfaceHolder.lockCanvas()
would return a Canvas that points to a section of the Bitmap inside the
QtSurface. In theory, MediaPlayer would write directly to the already
existing surface. Of course, I have not tested if this is possible!

I just like the idea of using MediaPlayer directly because, if Android is
ported to a device that does not support OpenMAX (As always, there are
other standards...), using the MediaPlayer directly would make it
transparent to this project.

I am just thinking out loud right now...

Regards,
Gabi Julien

P.S. I will create a patch for my MediaPlayer binding for QtMobility (see
[1]). I will submit it has soon I am done and I figure out how to have a
git repository setup. Thanks!

[1] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/necessitas-devel/2012-May/000916.html