1080p video on Android

Gabi Julien gabi.julien at gmail.com
Sun May 6 16:30:35 UTC 2012

Hello,

I just subscribed to this mailing list and I apologize for the fact that I
haven't read everything. First I just want to say that you guys are
awesome. I need to port a complex application developed using Qt and you
made it all possible. The way you accomplished this is just brilliant. My
employer, BroadSign, owns you a great deal. This is why I received the
permission to contribute back to the community if it can be useful.

One thing we do is multimedia. I have looked at the code in
QtMediaPLayer.java and mediaPlayerJNI.cpp and found it extremely
informative. Unfortunately, I came to the same conclusions as BogDan
described in the thread "Qt Multimedia status on
Android<http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/necessitas-devel/2012-May/000900.html>".
Without knowing about your efforts, I went on to try to make video work on
Android on my own. We have a proprietary video player that already uses
FFmpeg with VA-API or DxVA2 for hardware acceleration on desktops. On
Android however, knowing that hardware acceleration with OpenMAX would be a
problem, I chose a different approach. Instead of getting video from
ffmpeg, I cheated and used the Android's MediaPlayer. From the looks of it,
the approach is similar to QtCamera. I simply create a new SurfaceView on
top of the QtLayout. To get it on top, I call
SurfaceView.setZOrderOnTop(true). This works great. I can get 2 1080p h264
videos playing on the Transformer Prime TF201.

My question is, are you interested in getting the code to do this? I could
integrate it into QtMobility and provide the patch. I know you guys
preferred the FFMpeg approach so far. The reason is probably to have a real
integration with Qt and I can understand why. I could dig into this OpenMAX
thing but some part of me fear that this standard might be dropped for
something else in the future.

By the way, for the YUV420p to RGB conversion being slow, have you tryed
using OpenGL shaders? I have never used this myself and I am not an OpenGL
expert but one of my colleague had some success with it on desktops. It
makes the GPU convert colors for you so maybe it could help.

Just let me know if I can help,
Gabi Julien