(Necessitas is NOT...) on Widgets and QMLL

Willy Gardiol willy at gardiol.org
Fri Mar 16 15:33:07 UTC 2012

I am not getting into this, just stating a one thing that directly
impact my projects and my use of Qt.

> One thing I understand is that Widgets are more important to you than
> QML, even though Qt is deprecating their use on mobile device.
> Your call, but I think this is a waste of time/resource, and I admit

I have a large codebase which uses widgets. Yes, it's a mobile
codebase, developed for Symbian. I do not share Nokia's idea of
deprecating widgets for mobile. Widgets works pretty well for my app.
Yes i had to write some to fix the worst, but it was amazingly fast the
the result is nicer than what you could get with QML for a _very_ long
time.

One thing is to define a new approach (and QML is) but one thing is
trowing widgets away right now, as they did on N9. De facto screwing not
only a lot of desktop application which could be ported (think of
_tables_ for sakes!) but _ALSO_ any Symbian Qt app started over one year
ago, like mine. Which pisses me off immensely.

So i praise Necessitas for openly supporting widgets and in my opinion
it's the way it should be.

By dumping widgets you are dumpimg all Qt codebase which is the _main_
strong point in adopting Qt at the momemnt. Any solution _must_
encompass both QML and widgets at the same time. Of course, my biased
opinion.

(Now please explain me why Nokia deprecated widgets for mobile. The
only reason i find is they didn't want to fix them. And i do not
understand why)

--
Willy Gardiol
willy at gardiol.org