publishing to Google-Play and to non-Google-Play Appstores

Nalin Savara nsnsns at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 20:10:44 UTC 2012

Hi Guys...
Recently I tried publishing a app made using "necessitas Qt Creator" first
to Samsung Apps and then to Google-Play; and faced the following issues:--

(1) On Samsung Apps-- any necessitas app fails QA-- because it tries to
download Ministro from Google-Play-- and no appstore likes apps going to
another appstore.

(2) On Google Play:
(a) The "<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion=xxx android:targetSdkVersion=yyy
/>"  tag is missing-->> and this causes problems even when just uploading.
Needs to be added manually--> should (if possible be in androidmanifest.xml
by default)

(b) There needs to be a more intuitive way of signing with "release" key
instead of "debug" key.
It took me a while to figure this-- and on one appstore; I submitted a app
signed with debug key (and surprisingly it didnt get rejected because of
that-- but due to other reasons).
Preparing to publish on google-play-- one does a lot of command-line
stuff-->> how do others manage that ? Any tips or tricks ?

(3) Publishing to Amazon Android Appstore: I assume both of the above
issues will happen there also;
ie:
(a) need to download ministro from same appstore ;
(b) minSdkVersion and TargetSDK version.

(4) Apart from above; Samsung Apps gave many other reasons for
rejection/failing-- and I feel we should try to handle some or all of
them-- since Samsung is the biggest android handset manufacturer-- and in
Asia atleast monetization would not hapen through google play/merchant--
because many countries are not supported.

Finally... since most distribution these days happens through
app-stores... maybe we should try to add the ability to do appstore
specific builds; and put ministro on all appstores.

What say ???

Just my thoughts...

Regards,

Nalin