Implementing QtMultimedia

Harri Pasanen harri at mpaja.com
Mon Jul 2 07:23:26 UTC 2012

On 07/02/2012 09:04 AM, BogDan wrote:
>>>   Short answer is yes and no:)
>>>   For a longer answer please
>> checkhttp://mail.kde.org/pipermail/necessitas-devel/2012-May/000900.html
>> andhttp://mail.kde.org/pipermail/necessitas-devel/2012-May/000913.html  threads.
>> Ok, thanks.   Looks like that discussion addresses mostly video and mp3
>> playback.   I'm actually more interested in capture, both audio and camera,
>> (photos and video), and also lower lever apis, getting at the raw data before
>> any codecs are involved.    I think there has been some OpenCV using projects,
>> but I guess nothing merged to android-qt?
>>
> It is (almost) impossible to get the raw data before, it is impossible to decode it that fast :)
> I try it myself and I failed :), anyway you can use my findings to look further, maybe I
> missed something ...
> BogDan.

For images, typically you'll get a frame from the hardware for the
viewfinder in lower resolution that is usable for preview purposes, and
fast enough to manipulate in software, at least for still images.    For
that only issue is color conversion, and for Neon there exists fast
assembly code to do that.

For audio, I'm hoping to get raw PCM (wav) data from microphone. For
that speed should not be a big issue, depending of course what it to be
done with the data.  Getting something like the spectrum demo in Qt
sources running would cool.  Also QAudioOutput is pretty useful for
games and such.

Nokia themselves had issues in implementing these though, so I expect
there may be complications, even if on the surface it would seem
straight forward.   I believe I read somewhere that Android suffers from
audio latency issues, as does the future Windows 8 phone.  Only one
getting it right seems to be iOS, AFAIK.

Harri