back button handling (eg: hide main-menu ; optionally quit app etc)

Nalin Savara nsnsns at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 03:40:57 UTC 2012

Hi Friends,

@BogDan, @Ray, @Gurus-->> does next release have plan for android back
button handling ?

@All: How do you people do back button handling ?

How to handle below use cases more elegantly ?

1. When the main-menu is open-->> how to make the back button cause menu
loss of focus/closure ?

2. When a dialog (eg: about box) is open... how to make back button cause
close dialog ?

3. When mainwindow is in focus... back-button should optionally quit app...
but with a close-event or something... not abruptly.

Approaches: (any comments... on what you people have done ???)

(A) Messy approach (which I plan to do) is to come up with a complicated
system of keypressEvent handlers--- and pass back button as something else
from QtActivity.java... etc... however, has somebody come with a more
elegant solution ?

(B) Logically, a cleaner approach would be to emit signal.... for
back-button... and various widgets, controls etc... bind slots to that
signal....
Also, menu ; about box; file-open dialog etc... we should provide a way for
windows to treat back button as some kind of cancel event... and handle it
appropriately...

What say friends ?

Regards,

Nalin