Thoughts on Java files and forward compatibility?

Robert Schuster r.schuster at tarent.de
Mon Jun 27 10:08:23 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Am 26.06.2011 15:05, schrieb Espen Riskedal:
> I'd say:
> 1 - we should not copy the .java files into projects, but simply refer
> to the .java files as they are in the installed Qt you're using (or at
> least, overwrite if they're different)
+1
> 2 - find a more robust way which enables changes to the .java wrapper
> functions regardless
+1

> I know Robert and Christian has been working on this? What are your thoughts?
We were indeed talking in lengths about it. I have to admit. When its
done the inner workings will be quite opaque to someone not knowing Java
but from the outside (== Qt application developer) it will be supersmooth.

In short: There will be only a very small starter/wrapper class bundled
to the Qt application. It will mostly interact with Ministro and a bunch
of classes provided with the Qt installation. The latter will contain
all the custom code to interact with Qt libraries (including Bluetooth
stuff).

As I said there are some difficulties involved.

Unfortunately last week I was super busy with writing an offer but
sometime this week I should be able to start with the Java part rework.
Bogdan, Christian and me made some sketches and drawings at the summit.
I'll digitalize those too and make them available for everyone.

What is important to know: The Java interface between Qt apps and
Ministro (and Qt) will change once. The new interface will bring forward
compatibility (existing apps can run with a newer Qt port etc).

I am also looking into compatibility with the current interface (Should
not be too hard) for *existing* applications. Newly written apps will
use the new interface.

@Lauri: Please don't do this 'precompiled hard-coded Java class byte
array' thing. That is going to hurt us plenty. You can still start
implementing your stuff right now with the current scheme. The actual
moving of the existing classes to the new scheme is not so difficult
once the infrastructure is in place. In the current scheme your
bluetooth Java classes will be part of the application - later on
they'll belong to a particular Qt port. So you do not have to worry
about compatibility at all.

Regards,
Robert

--
tarent solutions GmbH
Thiemannstr. 36 a, D-12059 Berlin • http://www.tarent.de/

Rochusstraße 2-4, D-53123 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/
Tel: +49 228 52675-0 • Fax: +49 228 52675-25
HRB AG Bonn 5168 • USt-ID (VAT): DE122264941
Geschäftsführer: Boris Esser, Elmar Geese