Small list of issues from taking an existing app from Symbian to Android

Espen Riskedal espen at cutehacks.com
Sun Jun 26 16:26:17 CEST 2011

We're doing the WiMP (Spotify competitor, http://wimp.no) version for
Symbian, and it's just about to go into the Nokia app store.
It's a fairly complex app using multiple threads, Qt Quick, Boost and
Thrift. As a test I'm trying to get it running properly on Android,
here is a short list of the issues we're having at the moment:

1 - Fonts renders blocks (now fixed to some degree with the font
fallback code we added)
2 - QSettings doesn't work (seems to fail to save)
3 - Pixmap are rendered wrong (gradients stored in .png's are rendered
very crudely)
4 - QML scrolling speed is far to slow (slow on the S2 even)
5 - https:// connections fail because of SSL errors (using
ignoreSSLErrors() makes it "work")
6 - Software keyboard does not pop up in portrait mode (only in landscape)

This is on an S2 running 2.3.3, using Qt "experimental" and Qt Creator
"testing" branches as of today.

Anyone seen these errors themselves?
Anyways, I'll be working my way down the list ;) And also I'll
probably put them into the task system as TODOs/Bugs at some point
next week.

espen