RE: 答复: merge with qt.git#4.8

thomas.senyk at nokia.com thomas.senyk at nokia.com
Mon Jul 11 10:26:09 CEST 2011

Hi Lingfang,

yes and no :)

First of all it's important to understand what you want. You got basically two option:
- QWidget application
- QGraphicsView (which covers QtQuick applications.)

If you're doing QWidget applications in 90% of all cases (just a personal estimation based on experience) you don't want to have OpenGL acceleration because:
- It's experimental and it's not bug free.
- The performance is not very good. QWidget were never meant to be HW accelerated and because of various reasons they tent to consume much more performance as one would expect.
- Because of the last reason I would expect that opengl-accelerated QWidget application consume much more battery then non-accelerated.
- On android you got limitation regarding top-level. This is mainly things like DropBox-Menu, MessagesBox and such things. I would expect that you can work around most of the limitations.
- If you have OpenGL, you also want fancy animations (moving, scaling, transparency,...) and QWidgets only have very limited capabilities there.

If non of those things concern you and you think you can work around the few QWidgets which require there own top-level you can go ahead and try it, but consider yourself warned :)

Or in other words:
If you're doing QWidget applications and you feel the need to have opengl-acceleration because of performance, you probable should have done the application using QtQuick (or QGraphicsView if you don't like js/declarative)

Greets
Thomas