Fwd: Re: OpenGL support and alpha 3 schudle

BogDan bog_dan_ro at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 3 18:57:25 CEST 2011

Hi,

[...]

> There are still things to discuss before we do a release with this:
>
> In the end we will have one plugin (as in one .so-file) for raster and opengl
> The entry point (QAndroidPlatformIntegrationPlugin) will return the same
> QAndroidPlatformIntegration for both but give it a boolean to choose what to
> do for there on.
> (In short: QAndroidPlatformIntegration is the crossroad for opengl vs. raster)
>
> QAndroidPlatformIntegrationPlugin will provide 2 platforms:
> -platform android      (raster, as it is now) and a new one:
> -platform androidGL

Hmm, IMHO we should provide two separate plugins not only one if we'll provide
only one OpenGL will be a required library even for application which don't need it.

> I'm not sure how this is done on other embedded platforms but I think we
> should but developer-choose which platform he wants to use into qtcreator and
> store that decision somehow in the package
>
> So somewhere in qtcreator we should add a "Use OpenGL"-checkbox
>    ... and for some projects we might want to enable it per default
> (e.g: Declarative-Projects)
>
> I know people are going to use it although it's not the right thing for
> there
> projects!
> How do we warn/inform them when/why it's god/bad to click this checkbox?
> We need to warn/inform! If we don't we end up with a lot of complains (from
> developers and users) that even simple applications take a lot of performance,
> worth unreasonable amount of battery and even more worth not everything is
> working probably (e.g.: drop-down-boxes)

If we choose to ship two separate plugins it will be very easy, if your application
needs OpenGL your application will load OpenGL platform plugin otherwise it
will load raster plugin, this way we don't need any check box :)

> Greets
> Thomas

Cheers,
BogDan.