Fwd: Re: OpenGL support and alpha 3 schudle

Thomas Senyk thomas.senyk at nokia.com
Fri Jul 1 10:25:27 CEST 2011

Hi Folks,

I'm going to merge experimental-eglfs into experimental.

I guess this is a bigger merge (please wish me luck ;)
If anyone else has something big to commit/merge we could sync to discuss who
goes first. I mainly touch the src/plugins/platforms/android

There are still things to discuss before we do a release with this:

In the end we will have one plugin (as in one .so-file) for raster and opengl
The entry point (QAndroidPlatformIntegrationPlugin) will return the same
QAndroidPlatformIntegration for both but give it a boolean to choose what to
do for there on.
(In short: QAndroidPlatformIntegration is the crossroad for opengl vs. raster)

QAndroidPlatformIntegrationPlugin will provide 2 platforms:
-platform android      (raster, as it is now) and a new one:
-platform androidGL

I'm not sure how this is done on other embedded platforms but I think we
should but developer-choose which platform he wants to use into qtcreator and
store that decision somehow in the package

So somewhere in qtcreator we should add a "Use OpenGL"-checkbox
   ... and for some projects we might want to enable it per default
(e.g: Declarative-Projects)

I know people are going to use it although it's not the right thing for there
projects!
How do we warn/inform them when/why it's god/bad to click this checkbox?
We need to warn/inform! If we don't we end up with a lot of complains (from
developers and users) that even simple applications take a lot of performance,
worth unreasonable amount of battery and even more worth not everything is
working probably (e.g.: drop-down-boxes)

Greets
Thomas