Google Play Developer Program Policy Update

Google Play no-reply-googleplay-developer at google.com
Wed Nov 11 20:37:38 GMT 2020

View as webpage

Google Play

Developer update

Hello Google Play Developer,

We're writing to let you know about a recent update to our Developer Policy
Center. We make updates from time to time as part of a continuous effort to
make Google Play a safe and trustworthy experience for both developers and
consumers.

We've introduced policy updates that need your attention. All new and
existing apps will receive a grace period of at least 30 days from the
issuance of this notification to comply with the following changes:

We're adding information regarding the acceptable use of SMS and Call log
data for business CRM apps and default handlers. If you want to make
changes to your apps in accordance with these revised guidelines, you can
do so starting today.
We're updating our Policy Coverage section with additional clarity on apps
that may pose a high risk of abuse.
We're updating our User Data policy to align with changes to the Google
Play Developer Distribution Agreement to reflect our reliance on standard
contractual clauses to transfer personal data from the European Economic
Area or the UK to the US as of July 2020.

Additionally, we've added new examples and clarifications to some of our
policies:

We've added new examples to our News policy.
We've updated the Mobile Unwanted Software policy by renaming Impersonation
to Social Engineering.
We've added a new example to our Sensitive Events policy regarding COVID-19.
We've added new examples of common violations to our Spam and Minimum
Functionality policy.

As a reminder, if your app accesses location in the background, you can now
submit your app for feedback by completing the Location permissions
declaration form in the Play Console.

We encourage you to review these policy updates carefully in case any of
your apps are impacted.

REVIEW UPDATES

The Google Play Team

Connect with us

© 2020 Google LLC 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA

You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you
about important changes to your Google Play Developer account.