Google Play Developer Program Policy Update

Google Play no-reply-googleplay-developer at google.com
Thu Apr 16 19:43:36 BST 2020

View as webpage »

Google Play Policy updates

Hello Google Play Developer,

We're writing to let you know about a recent update to our Developer Policy
Center. We make updates from time to time as part of a continuous effort to
make Google Play a positive experience for both developers and consumers.

This email is to inform you of recent changes we've made to our policies:

We've updated our Deceptive Behavior policies to emphasize functionally
deceptive apps and our requirement to provide accurate disclosures and
metadata.
We've introduced a Manipulated Media policy for apps that spread or create
altered media.
We've updated our Malware policy. Visit the Google Play Protect site for
additional information about enforcement and reporting malware.
We've updated our Subscriptions policy to ensure transparent communication
of subscription offers.

Developers with apps currently on Google Play will have 60 days from the
issuance of this notification to bring their apps into compliance with the
Subscriptions policy to prevent removal.

We've rebranded the Ad Network Certification program to the Families Ads
Program.
We've updated our Families policy to include disclosure of collecting
personal and sensitive information from children.
We've updated our Families policy to provide further clarification on
Bluetooth use.
We've updated our Families Ads and Monetization policy to prohibit ads and
monetization practices that are spammy and/or manipulative.
We've launched our Location policy to promote transparency and limit
inappropriate access to location data especially in the background.

Because compliance with the Location policy may require substantial changes
to your app, affected developers will have an extended timeline to make any
necessary updates. To view timelines and other updates, please visit our
Help Center.

The following enforcement timelines will apply to these policies (with the
exception of the Location policy):

Any new apps or app updates published after this notification will
immediately be subject to the latest version of the Developer Program
Policies.
Apps currently on Google Play will have 30 days from the issuance of this
notification to come into compliance to prevent removal, except for the
Subscriptions policy which will have 60 days.

We encourage you to review these policy updates carefully in case any of
your existing apps are impacted.

REVIEW UPDATES

The Google Play Team Conversation Globe

© 2020 Google LLC 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA.

You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you
about important changes to your Google Play Developer account.