Get your apps ready for the 64-bit requirement by August 1, 2019

Google Play noreply-developer-googleplay at google.com
Thu Jan 31 19:44:55 GMT 2019

View as webpage »

Google Play Developer update

Hello Google Play Developer,

In our latest blog post, we detailed the requirement that apps using native
code must provide a 64-bit version in addition to the 32-bit version by
August 1, 2019. As you may know, 64-bit CPUs deliver faster, richer
experiences, and we appreciate your support in ensuring our users have the
best experience possible on the Android platform.

Action required

If you haven't yet, we encourage you to begin work for the 64-bit
requirement as soon as possible. Many apps are written entirely in
non-native code (eg the Java programming language or Kotlin) and will not
need code changes.

Please note that we are not making changes to our policy on 32-bit support.
Google Play will continue to deliver apps with 32-bit native code to 32-bit
devices. The requirement means that those apps will need to have a 64-bit
version as well.

To help you make the transition, we've prepared documentation on how to
check whether your app already supports 64-bit and how to become 64-bit
compliant.

We're also providing a high-level timeline below.

Starting August 1, 2019:

All new apps and app updates are required to provide 64-bit versions of any
32-bit native code they provide.
Extension: Google Play will continue to accept 32-bit only updates to
existing games that use Unity 5.6 or older until August 2021.

Starting August 1, 2021:

Google Play will stop serving apps without 64-bit versions on 64-bit
capable devices, meaning they will no longer be available in the Play Store
on those devices.
This will include games built with Unity 5.6 or older.

The requirement does not apply to:

APKs or app bundles explicitly targeting Wear OS or Android TV, which are
form factors that do not currently support 64-bit code.
APKs or app bundles that Google Play won't install on Android 9 Pie or
later (support for 64-bit does not need to extend to APKs that are only on
Android 8 Oreo and below).

If you have any questions, you can find additional information about adding
64-bit support here.

The Google Play Team Conversation Globe

© 2019 Google LLC 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA.

Email preferences: You have received this mandatory email service
announcement to update you about important changes to your Google Play
Developer account.